TO BE PUBLISHED December 2020
This conference will bring together key stakeholders and policymakers to examine the future for energy policy in Northern Ireland.
It will be an opportunity to discuss:
- The Strategic Energy Framework white paper which is expected to be published in the second half of this year; and
- The role of the energy sector in meeting carbon emission goals, which will be set out as part of the anticipated Climate Change Bill proposed in the New Decade, New Approach agreement.
Further sessions in the agenda look at key issues for infrastructure and energy security, the future energy market in Northern Ireland, and the impact of developments on the energy sector and consumers.
There will be keynote addresses from:
- Jenny Pyper, Chief Executive, Utility Regulator - on the key challenges that the energy market and consumers face in the context of the energy transition and Brexit;
- Jo Aston, Managing Director, SONI (System Operator for Northern Ireland) - on the future security of supply of energy in Northern Ireland and the planned investment in infrastructure to expand the grids capacity to handle a substantial increase in renewable energy; and
- A senior speaker from the Department for the Economy - on key priorities for the energy strategy following the publication of the White Paper.
Further speakers include:
- Dr Inna Vorushylo, Project Lead, Zero-IN on NI Heat - on decarbonising heat in Northern Ireland and the current findings of the Zero-IN on NI Heat project, which collaborates with key energy organisations to identify and investigate barriers and opportunities towards decarbonising heat in Northern Ireland;
- Rachel Anderson, Chair, Northern Ireland Renewables Industry Group - on the priorities for the renewable energy industry in Northern Ireland and its role in meeting net zero;
- Pat Austin, Director, National Energy Action Northern Ireland - on fuel poverty in Northern Ireland and the priorities for preventing and reducing fuel poverty;
- Paulino Garcia, Head of Energy Policy, The Consumer Council - on priorities for energy consumers and future energy costs expected to be incurred in the drive to net zero; and
- Senior speaker confirmed from Phoenix Natural Gas - on the future of conventional energy in a low-carbon society as Northern Ireland aims to meet net zero targets.
- Energy Policy in Northern Ireland - key priorities for the energy strategy;
- The role of the energy sector in meeting the 2050 net zero targets;
- Next steps for the development of the grid and interconnectors;
- Ensuring security of supply and effective infrastructure to meet future energy needs;
- Challenges for the market in the energy transition; and
- Balancing priorities - costs, competition and fuel poverty.
Price: £95 PLUS VAT
Format: DOWNLOADABLE PDF